Alex Lowe is a fifth grade student at Kurn Hattin Homes, a Vermont residential school designed to offer kids “a secure and supportive haven during a troubled period in their families’ lives.” Alex’s favorite animal is the great white shark and he plans to become a marine biologist.
“When I think of peace, I think of people shaking hands on the street and picking them up when they feel down.”
“Peace means that everybody gets along, people are there for each other, and they make the world a better place. If someone’s being mean to me, I’ll just walk away or ignore them. The fact is they’re just trying to make you miserable like they are. If you see someone being mean to other people, try to stick up for that person.
Mostly, when I’m having a bad day, I start to write in my journal because that’s one way I get my feelings out. My mother told me that you don’t always have to bring your anger out, and when you do, bring it out on paper.”
Alex Lowe short audio clip
Alex Lowe full audio
- Do you see a correlation between the people you know who are peaceful and the people you know who are actively working to make the world a better place?
- Have you ever made some else miserable? How much do you let your own frustrations and negative emotions influence your relationships?
- Have you ever stuck up for someone who was being treated poorly? How did sticking up for them make you feel?
- What are the biggest responsibilities that you have? How do those responsibilities motivate you?
- Do you view yourself as a world-changer?
4 thoughts on “Alex Lowe”
Thank you John for the heart warming photo and the delightful interview with this bright young man. God bless him and make him continue to shine as he grows up.
WOW! What a terrific young guy!! I wish you all the best in your life ahead, Alex. You have already made a great start and hope things continues to get better and better for you. With your positive attitude, I am sure it can’t help but happen!
You’re a wise boy for your age. You will do well in life. God bless you.